Today is my last official day of summer. I had intended on completing several home projects this summer, but got very few things done. So today, in a last ditch effort, I started organizing our storage closet under the stairs. I figured since Amvets are coming tomorrow to pick up donations, I should really tackle that project, especially since it has been bothering me for the longest time.
There were some things stored away that I really didn't want to have to deal with, but it just had to be done. I had saved everything Jim had given me, and I knew it was hidden away somewhere in there. Eventually I found the bin, and it was quite the treasure chest of random gifts! There were many cards he had written me, funny little present he had given me over the course of our 4 years, and of course, Preston, Autumn, Reese, and Bailey (my Build-a-Bear babies!), as well as several Cabbage Patch dolls we bought together at Toys R Us and called our children (Preston, James Ashley, and Laney...in case you were wondering! Yes, we were really dorky!!). Also tucked away in that bin were my stuffed Homies, my Taco Bell dog (thankfully, I thought I lost that guy!), and some old toys from my childhood. Seriously, a treasure chest full of awesome memories!!
Part of me really wanted to keep all of my bears, especially Preston since he was my first child and one of the first gifts Jim ever gave me. I knew I couldn't though. That would be silly. There is no need to hold on to that part of my life. It really made me sad stuffing those bears into a garbage bag, but I am happy to pass them on to children in need. The Homies also made their way into the donation bag...I'm sure they will make some little gangster child very happy. I couldn't part with any of my childhood dolls, my Cabbage Patch babies (I figure my kids can play with them and they weren't sentimental gifts), and my "Yo quiro Taco Bell" dog. I also saved the scrapbook I made of Jim and I. That one I couldn't part with quite yet. It had all of the cards and notes he had written me during our first year. I absolutely cannot handle the thought of throwing that away. It has been 5 and a half years since we were together, and since we have spoken, so really I have no idea why I have this strong urge to save the book...but whatever. I'm sure eventually I will be okay with getting rid of it. Right now it will stay hidden away and hopefully the next time I come across it I will be okay with letting go.
8 years ago

1 comment:
I am so happy to see you blogging again! And way to go on letting go of so many things, I totally understand how hard it is. I still have things from my last boyfriend that I can't get rid off and I have no idea why. Also just thing of how happy you made some ganster child with those Homies - he is gonna be the coolest kid in the projects!!
Post a Comment