The fire alarm in our building goes off at least once every other month (usually more), and every time it happens, it scares the S#*T out of me. Of course it happened today, and like always I go into complete panic mode...because every time the alarm goes off I'm convinced the building is burning and I only have seconds to escape unharmed. I have the same routine: put on presentable clothes as fast as possible (I do not want people seeing me braless and in my Christmas fleece pj pants), grab my cell phone, keys, purse, and cash we have laying around, dog leash, dog, and I'm out. As I'm leaving the building I'm always shaking and hoping to God our apartment will be okay. Then when I get outside I notice I am the ONLY one who leaves the building! And this wasn't just today, it has happened multiple times! I do not understand! Does everyone else here want to be burned alive?! I don't understand why you wouldn't leave just in case!! Dying in a fire is one of my biggest fears. Ever since kindergarten when they showed us the fire safety movie I have been absolutely terrified of house fires. Thats probably why I overreact slightly each time the alarm goes off...but seriously, better safe than sorry!
Anyway, today made me think about that question, if your house was on fire, what would you save? My answer has always been family photos and my big file folder with important documents, but each time the alarm goes off those things don't even cross my mind. I wonder if people really do run around and grab things that are important to them, because I can't even imagine remembering to.
8 years ago

2 comments:
Yea, in the case of a real fire, I would probably just be worrying about getting my husband and dog out of the house, on top of that, I'm sure I'd grab my purse, that's about it!
I would probably just grab the animals and maybe my cell phone, but I can't imagine remembering things like photo albums and things during an emergency. Plus- most of them are upstairs- I'm sure not going up there if our house is on fire!
Post a Comment